Join me for some of my favourite things and places.....
.... History, crafts, scenery and heaps of other stuff .......

Sunday, August 18, 2013

At the Botanic Gardens While the Earth Moves In Wellington


A lone flowering Tulip


On Friday we had decided it was about time that we went into Wellington again.
We needed a fix of city hustle and bustle and then our usual wander through the Wellington Botanic Gardens.
Little did we know it would turn out to be a bit of an adventure.


One of the tulip beds


The tulip beds were devoid of flowers, all except one lone tulip, but growing well in preparation for the Spring Tulip Festival later on.  But there was plenty of magnolias in bloom along with other pretty little flowers and the spring bulbs doing their thing rather early, it is still winter.


Relaxing on the grass while Wellington shakes


I found myself a nice possie next to the Joy Fountain on the grass and sat down while Salem went running about.  I felt the ground move under me and thought that it was either a small earthquake or a truck or bus going by. I didn't see either.  I mentioned it to Salem but he didn't feel anything.  He was too busy running around and exploring in the trees.


This was taken just after a large earthquake


Soon after heaps of people started walking through the gardens and I thought it must have been the usual after work crowd of people walking home........Little did we know!!!!!
Wellington had been rattled by some rather large earthquakes.
I have written about our adventure on our Ballet Boy NZ blog so check out our story at http://balletboynz.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/dancing-on-shaky-ground-and-costume.html.
We were totally oblivious to the earthquakes and had a really nice afternoon at the gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment